BREAKING

SecurityUncategorized

Oyo Insecurity: Igboho Urges Swift Approval for Iru Ekun Security Network to Complement State Efforts Against Kidnapping

Spread the love


...To get all news updates, Join our WhatsApp Group (Click Here)
Connect with us on Linkedin (Click Here)

IBADAN – As concerns mount over the spate of kidnappings and violent attacks in parts of Oyo State, Yoruba Nation agitator Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has formally appealed to the Federal Government and South-West governors to expedite approval for the launch of the proposed Iru Ekun Security Network.

The call comes in the wake of coordinated attacks on schools in the Ahoro-Esinle community, where dozens of pupils, teachers, and school staff were abducted. Igboho said the security initiative is designed to support existing state and federal structures in dislodging criminal elements operating in forests across the region.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, Igboho disclosed that all preparatory arrangements for the Iru Ekun Security Network had been concluded and that the group was only awaiting formal authorization from relevant authorities to commence operations.

“I am only awaiting the approval of the government to tackle growing insecurity ravaging the South-West head-on,” he said.

He emphasized that the outfit would not act independently of constitutional structures, stressing the need for collaboration with the Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, Nigerian Army, and the South-West governors. According to him, any intervention must be lawful, coordinated, and intelligence-driven to avoid undermining existing security architecture.

“The proposed Iru Ekun Security Network is structured to identify, locate, and assist in flushing out kidnappers, bandits, and criminal elements who have taken refuge in forests across Yorubaland. However, we will not commence any operation without the explicit approval of the Federal Government and relevant security stakeholders,” the statement read.

Also Read:  Oyo: Ex Iseyin Council Chair, Waheed Adeleke Felicitates Christians On Easter Celebration

The appeal follows the abduction of at least 32 pupils, teachers, and non-academic staff during attacks on Community Grammar School, Baptist Nursery and Primary School, and L.A. Primary School in Ahoro-Esinle.

Oyo State Police Command spokesperson, SP Oluyinka Ayanlade, confirmed that seven secondary school students, 18 primary school pupils, and seven teachers remained unaccounted for as of Tuesday.

Igboho described the incidents as “sad, unfortunate, and worrisome,” noting the psychological trauma inflicted on the victims, their families, and the wider community.

“My heart is with the parents of the abducted pupils and the families of the slain teachers and security personnel who lost their lives in these dastardly acts,” he said.

He warned that continued delays in authorizing community-based security support could embolden criminal gangs operating in border forests between Oyo, Osun, and parts of Kwara State.

Amid the growing security concerns, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde announced that surveillance aircraft procured by the state had arrived in Nigeria and were undergoing assembly at a Nigerian Air Force facility in Lagos ahead of deployment.

“The surveillance aircraft have arrived in the country. As of today, they are at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos, where they are being assembled,” Makinde told journalists in Ibadan.

The governor stated that the aircraft would enhance aerial intelligence gathering, real-time monitoring, and rapid response capacity, particularly in forest zones identified as hideouts for criminal groups.

Igboho also called on traditional rulers across the South-West to lend their voice to the push for immediate approval of the security network, arguing that community leaders remain critical in mobilizing local intelligence and fostering cooperation between residents and formal security agencies.

Also Read:  OPC Tasks Osinbajo, Tinubu, South West Govs, Monarchs To Secure Sunday Igboho's Release

“We cannot afford to continue folding our hands while our people are being mindlessly murdered and abducted. We are battle-ready with our men to support security agencies in clearing these forests of marauders,” he said.

Security analysts note that the resurgence of school kidnappings has renewed debate over the role of non-state actors in supporting community security, particularly in areas with difficult terrain and limited police presence.

The Oyo State Government has consistently maintained that any auxiliary security arrangement must operate within the law and under the supervision of recognized security agencies.

With both state-level surveillance upgrades and growing civil pressure for faster intervention, stakeholders say the coming weeks will be crucial in determining how quickly coordinated, lawful responses can be deployed to restore confidence in rural and semi-urban communities across Oyo and the wider South-West.


...To get all news updates, Join our WhatsApp Group (Click Here)
Connect with us on Linkedin (Click Here)

Spread the love

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Load More Posts Loading...No More Posts.